Welcome to 'Weddings 
On Cape Cod' by Dr. Dave
Cleveland 508-487-1981



DR DAVID CLEVELAND    508-487-19


ere's what you need to know and what documents to bring with you b

efore you apply for a marriage intention application in P

rovincetown, Massachusetts. We recommend getting this legal aspect of your wedding, out of the way about a month before your ceremony date.

Town of Provincetown Marriage License Office


Provincetown Town Clerk

260 Commercial Street

Provincetown, MA 02657

(508) 487-7013

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. / Monday - Thursday 

8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.  on Fridays

Closed for holidays.

Dr David Cleveland is available for your ceremony

9 am. - 9 p.m. 7 days a week

for your wedding or vows renewal ceremony.

Ask a Lawyer Online Now! 24 Lawyers Are Online. Ask a Question, 

Get an Answer ASAP.

Obtaining a marriage license in Provincetown, Massachusetts

The legal age to marry in Massachusetts is 18 (M.G.L. ch. 207, s. 33A).

All people who marry in the state must have a marriage license issued in Massachusetts by any city or town clerk (M.G.L. ch. 207, s. 28).

Proper identification is necessary. You may be required to show a certified

birth certificate.

Marriage licenses are issued at any Massachusetts city or town hall. 

Provincetown will provide you with two free, certified copies, Yeh!!

ID Requirement: Picture ID, such as a driver's license. You should know

your Social Security numbers.

Residency Requirement: You do not have to be a resident of Massachusetts.

Application Requirement: Both the bride and groom must appear in person at the time of applying.

 This requirement is applicable to both residents and non-residents of the Commonwealth. According to Massachusetts law, you must jointly file intentions to marry, and you may do so with the city or town clerk in any community in the state. If a person is in the military, intentions may be filed by either party, providing one is a Massachusetts resident. If a person is incarcerated in a county house of correction or a state correctional facility, intentions may be filed by either party.

If Divorced: You are not required to present a divorce certificate when filing intentions to marry. However, it is extremely important that an individual who has been divorced be certain that his/her divorce is absolute. If you are uncertain as to the absolute date of your divorce, you should contact the court where the divorce was granted. In Massachusetts, a divorce does not become absolute until 90 days after the divorce has been granted, regardless of the grounds for divorce.

Waiting Period: 3 days. Sundays and holidays are included in the three days, but the day the application is made is not. For example, if you apply on Friday, your license will be issued on or after Monday. Check with your town clerk to determine whether you must pick it up in person, or if it can be mailed

 Obtaining a Waiver of the Waiting Period:  According to MGL Ch. 207:30, if both parties are residents, or non-residents, or one of each, and they need to dispense with the three days, they may do so by applying to the judge of a probate or district court to have the license issued without delay, after filing intentions with the clerk. Under extraordinary or emergency circumstances, such as if the death of either party is imminent or the female is nearing the end of her pregnancy, an authorized request by a minister or clergyperson or an attending physician shall suffice and the clerk can issue the certificate without delay.

How Much a Marriage License Cost? In Provincetown the fee for issuance of a marriage license and completing the marriage intentions will cost you between $4 and $60 to get married.

Medical Certificate: Not needed.

Please note the procedures and timelines described below.

All couples that file a Notice of Intention to Marry on or after January 28, 2005, no longer need to obtain a medical certificate.

This information is provided by Communicable Disease Control within the Department of Public Health.

Other Tests:

No blood test required.

Under 18:

Parental consent is needed if under 18 years of age. If you are between 16-18 years of age, one of your parents or guardian must be with you and provide written consent.

If you are under 16 years of age, you will need both the written consent of your custodial parent or guardian and the written approval of a judge of the Orphans' Court Division of the Court of Common Pleas.

If you are under 18, pregnant or have a child, and show a certificate from a licensed physician stating you are pregnant or have had a child, the parental consent requirement may be waived.

Proxy Marriages:


Cousin Marriages:


Common Law Marriages:


Same Sex Marriages: Yes, in Massachusetts same sex marriages are  considered legal.

Miscellaneous: If either of the parties has arrived as an immigrant from a foreign country within five days, the application may be filed at any time before the marriage, and the certificate shall be issued at any time after the filing.

Officiants: Ordained ministers of the gospel may perform marriages. Before performing marriages, ministers are required to apply for a certificate from the state. For applications visit the Commonwealth of Massachusetts website. You must file a copy of your ordination certificate and a statement from the church saying that you are in good standing. Ministers must keep records of all marriages they perform. Also, ministers must return a certificate of the marriage to the town clerk or registrar who issued the marriage license and to the town clerk of the town where the marriage was performed.

A Notary Public cannot perform weddings in Massachusetts.

Valid: Your License application is valid for 60 days.

Witnesses: Witnesses are not required.

Copy of Certificate of Marriage:

Registry of Vital Records and Statistics

Department of Public Health

150 Mt. Vernon Street

Boston, MA 02125

Telephone: (617) 740-2600

It is important that you verify all information with your city or town hall before making any wedding or travel plans.

Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Congratulations on your choice to be united in Marriage-

Dr David Cleveland

Wedding Officiant Provincetown,